Table of Contents
There are countless articles out there that review the ‘best’ hiking backpacks on the market. While this information is useful, in reality, the best backpack for you is always going to be the one that fits your body correctly.
Choosing the perfect camping backpack is not as easy as picking out a suitcase. Brand name and style mean nothing in comparison to comfort and functionality. It should fit you properly can mean the difference between an enjoyable mountaineering trip and a miserable experience. The last thing you want on the trail is back and shoulder pain.
|Image||Brand||Our Rating||Product Name||Merchant|
|Top Top Top Top||Osprey||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Backpack Rook 65L||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top Top||TETON Sports||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top Top||Esup||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Hiking Backpack 50L||Check Today's Price|
Unfortunately, most trekking backpacks are designed with average-sized hikers in mind. It can be challenging to find a proper pack that fits you comfortably if you are a more significant person.
To make this process easier, here are some tips that big and tall hikers should keep in mind when shopping for a backpack, as well as some of our favorite hiking backpacks for bigger guys.
Consider the Purpose of Your Pack
When choosing a backpack, one of the first things to consider is the capacity you need. Carrying a pack that is bigger than you need means carrying uncomfortable excess weight. On the other hand, if your pack is too small, you’ll struggle to fit everything you need for your hike.
There is a big difference in the types of hiking backpacks required for day hikes and multi-night backpacking expeditions.
If you plan to take your pack out for a single-day hike that does not require overnight camping, take a look at daypacks. With daypacks, your shoulders support the weight rather than your hips. This feature makes daypacks best suited for carrying loads of less than 20lbs.
These packs are designed to carry heavy loads comfortably. They’re perfect if you plan to camp overnight during your hiking adventure. There’s plenty of room for a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, and everything else you need to camp safely. These larger hiking backpacks use a hip belt to carry some of the weight away from your shoulders and direct it towards your center of gravity.
How Your Hiking Backpack Should Fit
It does not matter how big or tall you are. They should fit you the same way as everyone else for maximum comfort and support. Here is what you should watch out for:
Match your backpack with your torso length. Even if you are tall, you could carry a significant amount of your height in your legs. To find your torso length, measure the distance between the center of your shoulder blades and the top of your hips. Use this measurement rather than your total height to find the correct backpack for your body.
Regardless of your height, the shoulder straps of your pack should extend two to three inches past your armpit.
It sounds obvious, but your hip belt should always sit directly on your hips. If it’s too high or too low, the weight of your load will not be adequately distributed.
|Image||Brand||Our Rating||Product Name||Pros||Cons||Merchant|
|Top Top Top||Osprey||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Backpack Rook 65L, One size||High quality materials, AirSpeed suspension, Keeps cool - air flow||A bit heavy, Lack of adjustability||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||TETON Sports||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack||Comes with rain cover, Alot of padding, Walking pole holder,||A bit heavy, Weak air ventilation||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||Esup||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||50L Multipurpose Mountaineering Backpack with rain cover||Value backpack,||Zippers just OK||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||MOUNTAINTOP||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||70L+10L Hiking Backpack||Comfortable, Durable, Lightweight, Comes with rain cover, 2 access points||Clip holding a water bladder too far apart||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||Osprey||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Renn 50 Women's Backpack, One Size||Integrated removable rain cover, highly ventilated, Comfortable||Adjusting shoulder straps challenging||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||seenlast||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Hiking Backpack 50L with Rain Cover||Comes with rain cover, Quality materials, straps padded and breathable, Great value backpack||Back support basic not adjustable, Top flap not much flexible||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||ALPS Mountaineering||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Shasta Internal Frame Pack, 70L||Back panel durable fabric, additional room for water bottles, Substantial padding on straps, waist, back large surface area||No side zip points of entry, Bottom halves deviders is small buckled flap and not a zip around||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||OUTLIFE||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Hiking Backpack 60L||Lightweight, Great value backpack, Many buckles, straps and compartments||The padding is not durable, No torso length adjustment||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||Backpack||⭐️⭐️⭐️||Hiking Backpack with rain Cover 70L / 115L||Large capacity, comes with rain cover||Not durable,||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||Crystalzhong||⭐️⭐️⭐️||Unisex 70l Hiking Backpack,||Durable, Extension expendable collar (10L)||Use just for short trips||Check Today's Price|
Our Picks for the Best Hiking Backpacks for Bigger Guys
Below we will take a look at some of the packs that are perfect for taller hikers and backpackers. Because people come in all shapes and sizes, we prioritized adjustability when choosing these backpacks.
Osprey Rook 65 Backpack
Osprey has a reputation for making quality backpacking and camping packs. They design them for comfort and functionality, which is perfectly demonstrated by the Rook 65.
The pack comes with some innovative extra features that make it useful. It includes an internal hydration sleeve that can accommodate up to 3L of water, which is great for staying hydrated on the trails. You also get an integrated rain cover, so your gear stays dry even if you get caught in the rain.
- The Light Wire internal frame and adjustable tensioned back panel helps provide a stable and comfortable carry
- Zippered sleeping bag compartment with floating divider
- Integrated removable rain cover
- Dual mesh side pockets and zippered hipelt pockets
- Internal hydration sleeve that fits up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately)
The Osprey has plenty of storage space and pockets, which makes it a perfect hiking backpack, especially if you plan on camping. Where the pack shines is in how comfortable it is. An adjustable hip belt and upper and lower compression straps help this backpack stay balanced and close to your body. Taller backpackers will appreciate the flexible back panel that fits torso lengths between 17 and 22 inches.
With the Osprey, you get a comfortable and intuitive hiking backpack that can be customized to fit tall backpackers.
Teton Sports Scout 3400 Hiking Backpack
Teton Sports designed the Scout 3400 with comfort and adjustability in mind. The backpack is intended to fit all body types and can be adjusted in the torso, waist, chest, and shoulders. The Scout 3400 is advertised as being so adaptable that it can be modified to fit everyone from children to the tallest adults.
- NOT YOUR BASIC BACKPACK: Continues to be the top-selling internal frame backpack on Amazon at a great price for all the included features; Backpack for men and women. Waist Belt- Adjustable 26 - 60 inches. Torso Length- Adjustable 15 - 19.5 inch
- VERSATILE QUICK TRIP PACK: Just right for youth and adults for light backpacking trips; best for 2-4-day adventures; 3400 cubic inches (55 L) capacity; weighs 4.5 pounds (2 kg)
- COMFORT YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE: Multi-position torso adjustment fits wide range of body sizes; Durable open-cell foam lumbar pad and molded channels provide maximum comfort and airflow
- TRUSTED QUALITY: Hiking backpack with hundreds of verified 5-star reviews testifying to the quality and design; sleeping bag compartment, compression straps, and exterior pockets for strategic packing
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
The Scout 3400 is also really light for its capacity. You get 3400 cubic inches of storage space in a lightweight 4.5lb backpack. You also get a great deal of support with the backpack’s internal frame lumbar pad. Considering the low price point, storage capacity, and adjustability, the Scout 3400 is a great overnight hiking backpack for outdoor enthusiasts of all sizes.
Esup 50L Hiking Backpack
Esup offers a multi-functional and highly adjustable hiking backpack at a reasonable price point. You get a lot of bang for your buck and a backpack that is capable of fitting a wide variety of body types.
You get breathable mesh shoulder and back padding, which helps relieve strain on your body during longer hikes. The pack also uses S-type shoulder straps, which means they can comfortably fit hikers with broader shoulders.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAPS- adjust the tightness as you need, For tying up your pack or hanging sleeping bag, mat, hammock etc, Suitable for all people.
- Multi-functional travel bag, 50L high-capacity include main compartment, two zipped front pocket, sleeping bag compartment, mesh side pockets, you can put your tents, blanket or cooking gear in this backpack, best for 2-4-day adventures.
- Made with high-quality tear Polyester+ nylon fabric, tear-resistant, anti-scratch, wear-resistant, with rain cover, prevent the water from sipping into the bag, Keep things dry.
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. Widened and thickened S-type shoulder straps and high elastic breathable back support for best ventilation and easing burden.
- Warmly Tip - if you have whatever issue about our product, please feel free to give me an email, we will give you a satisfied respond as soon as possible. Lets go to order quickly.
You get fully adjustable shoulder straps and an adjustable hip belt with pockets. In addition to being water-resistant, the pack also comes with a rain cover in case you get caught in wet conditions.
The Esup backpack is unisex, and due to its high level of adjustability, both big and small hikers can comfortably use it.