Table of Contents
- 1 Having the right backpacking gear is essential.
- 2 Why is it Important to Buy a Tent for Tall People that is the Correct Size?
- 3 Our Picks for the Best Tents for Tall People
Backpacking is one of the most enjoyable and adventurous ways to experience the outdoors. By blending hiking with backcountry camping, backpacking provides an immersive outdoors experience that is both freeing and unique. Nothing beats camping under the stars after a long day of hiking through nature.
|Image||Our Rating||Brand||Product Name||Merchant|
|Top||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||MSR||Mutha Hubba NX 3-Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent with Xtreme Waterproof Coating||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Big Agnes||Copper Spur HV UL2 2 Person Backpacking Tent||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||MIER||Ultralight Tent 2-Person Camping||Check Today's Price|
Having the right backpacking gear is essential.
It is becoming increasingly difficult for tall camping enthusiasts to find backpacking tents to accommodate their body type. Because backpackers carry all of their equipment and essentials on their backs, manufacturers of backpacking tents have begun focusing on weight reduction above all else. As backpacking tents become lighter, they usually also become smaller.
It makes sense when you think about it – there are only so many ways you can reduce the weight of a tent, and one of the most obvious is to use less material. As tent manufacturers shave down ounces, they also shave off inches from the length of their tents.
Why is it Important to Buy a Tent for Tall People that is the Correct Size?
Finding a tent that is tall enough to stand up comfortably is kind of tricky. There are some humongous tents on the market. However, if you want something with a reasonable footprint, your options are very limited, especially when it comes to backpacking. After a long day of hiking, the last thing you want to do is sleep curled up because your tent is too small. You need to stretch out your legs properly and allow your knees to recover for the next day’s hike.
When it comes to tent length, we find that taller backpackers should use a tent that is at least 82 inches long. You do not want to cut it too close with tent length as it can be both cold and uncomfortable having any part of your body touch the tent walls.
Do not give up and buy a tent in a standard size because you are having difficulty finding one designed for taller backpackers. Getting quality sleep is a crucial component of recovery on backpacking trips, so it is worth getting the right gear.
|Image||Our Rating||Brand||Product Name||Pros||Cons||Merchant|
|Top||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||MSR||Mutha Hubba NX 3-Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent with Xtreme Waterproof Coating||Light and very compact, Easy to set up, Great ventilation,||Very basic stakes||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Big Agnes||Copper Spur HV UL2 2 Person Backpacking Tent||Ultralight, Easy setup with the clip system and matching colors||Pracey, No footprint||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||MIER||Ultralight Tent 3-Season Backpacking Tent for 2-Person||Ultralight, Good ventilation and air low||Bathtub is minimal||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Kelty||Late Start Backpacking Tent - 2 Person||Lightweight, Durable, Easy to set up and take down||Minimal air circulation||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Kelty||Salida Camping and Backpacking Tent||Lightweight and cost efficient, Good ventilation,Super easy set up||Tent stakes are sub-par.Footprint not included||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||TETON Sports||Mountain Ultra Tent; 2 Person Backpacking Tent||Lightweight, Easy to assemble, Footprint included||Zippers could be better||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||ALPS Mountaineering||Mystique 2.0 Tent 2 Person Backpacking Tent||Durable materials Excellent stitching on the tent and fly assembly Stable design||No footprint, Fly does not align with the pole set||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Weanas||Professional Backpacking Tent 2 Person||Compact and light, Keeps warm nicely||Ventilation could be better||Check Today's Price|
|⭐️⭐️⭐️||yodo||2 Person Waterproof Backpacking Tent||Compact||Zippers not so great, Might be too short for campers over6'||Check Today's Price|
Our Picks for the Best Tents for Tall People
To make it easier on you taller outdoor enthusiasts, we have listed our top picks for lightweight backpacking tents that are suitable for backpackers that are over 6 feet tall.
This backpacking tent comes in at a total weight of just 3lbs 1oz, perfect for hiking and considerably lighter than most large tents on the market. Taller campers will appreciate the 88 inches of length the Copper Spur offers. With a 40 inch height, you will not be able to stand in the tent, but you can certainly sit up. Backpacking tents are not meant to be overly roomy. However, you should be able to lay down flat and get a comfortable sleep in the Big Agnes.
Big Agnes is a well-known manufacturer of backpacking supplies. They are known for their high-quality products and unique designs. The Big Agnes Copper Spur lives up to this reputation and is a perfect tent for tall backpackers.
- The design allows for high volume pole architecture resulting in steeper walls without adding weight
- Two doors and two vestibules with storm flaps on the vestibule zippers
- Large dual zipper door with discrete seams allows for easy entry and smooth closure while creating a clean, modern design
- Quick Stash on tent body door makes stowing unzipped door quick and easy
- Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon is 25% stronger providing maximum durability
- Two-tone mesh provides privacy while allowing for star-gazing transparency
- Massive ceiling pocket provides great storage space
Media pockets located above sleeping area enable clean earbud cord routing from phones or other devices.
- One fly vent
- Velcro tabs connect fly to pole structure providing perfect pitch and extra stability
- Ready to pitch; with pre-cut guy lines and tensioners attached to fly
- Reflective guylines and webbing on tent corners
MSR is another well-known backpacking tent brand. The Hubba Hubba is a two-person tent but, if you are a taller backpacker, you might find it to be a perfect size. The tent measures 84 inches in length, making it a suitable choice for campers that are over 6 feet tall.
We liked that the tent has a vestibule where you can store backpacks, shoes, and other gear you may not want to take into the tent with you overnight. You also have the convenience of a removable rain fly. Being able to stay dry when it is raining and chilly when it is hot help. The tent weighs in at 3lbs 4oz, which makes it easy to carry on the trails.
- Optimized symmetrical geometry and non-tapered floor
- Large, easy-entry D-shaped StayDry™ door and vestibule
- Side entry zipper orientation
- Rainfly kickstand vent
- Adjustable rainfly (roll-up vestibule & stargazer view)
- Light gray rainfly color (neutral light)
- Adjustable integrated stake-out loops
- Lightweight reflective guy-outs
- Durable high-tenacity nylon fabrics
- Ultra-durable Easton Syclone poles
- Long-lasting Xtreme Shield waterproof coating
- Precision-stitched seams, factory-sealed seams
- Stakes, guy-out cords and compression stuff sack with carrying handle included
MIER offers the most affordable tall-friendly backpacking tent on our list. The tent weighs under 3lbs, so, surprisingly, it has so much space. The length is 83 inches, which means most backpackers that are over 6 feet tall will be able to sleep comfortably. You also get a generous amount of headroom with the MIER. The floor to ceiling height is 49 inches, which means even taller campers will be able to sit up with a reasonable degree of comfort.
Considering its low price point, the MIER comes with some nice extras. In addition to a rain fly, the tent has two doors, each with its vestibule for storage. You also have the option of upgrading the basic one-person model to a two-person tent. If you are a tall backpacker looking for a low-cost tent, you cannot go wrong with the MIER.
- Lightweight & Durable Camping Tent — Made of 15D Nylon (Silicone-coated, rainfly) and 20D Breathable mesh (inner tent), this pyramid 3-person tent shows great performance on both quality and weight. Only 3.3 lbs (1.50 kg) with compact carrying bag (size: 16.5in x 5.9in), very portable to carry
- Excellent Waterproof Backpacking Tent — High-quality waterproof material includes PU5000mm 15D Nylon (Silicone- coated) Anti UV rainfly, PU6000mm 20D Nylon (Silicone-coated) bathtub floor. Treated with tape seam technology, this tent can protect you in all severe weather
- Well Crafted Teepee Tent — Spacious inner space for 2-3 person and their gear. Inventive lengthen pole for connecting trekking poles together, get rid of the constraint on 1 trekking pole height; you can adjust the height of the tent in a large range (Trekking Pole Is NOT Included). 3 big air vents for better airflow
- Easy & Quick Setup Tent — Succinct setup step, you can set up the tent less than 10 minutes; can be supported with 2 standard trekking poles (Trekking Pole Is NOT Included) or firm tree branch, if you pitch the tent correctly, it can resist strong wind and rain
- Multifunctional 3 Season Tent — This can be set up as a tarp-tent without the inner tent, and also can be set up as a bug mesh stargazer without rain fly; suitable for camping, hiking, beach, fishing, and other outdoor sports
The Kelty Late Start is a solid tent choice for taller backpackers. Due to the open mesh design of the tent, you get excellent ventilation. The tent is also a breeze to set up, which comes in handy after a long day on the trails or if you plan to set up camp in the dark.
As for interior space, the tent has a length of 85 inches and a height of 40 inches. This tent is more than suitable for most tall backpackers. You also get a large vestibule that adds nearly 8 square feet of storage space.
You have the option between a one, two, or a four-person version of the tent. The one person option comes in at 3lbs 5oz, which is reasonable for a tent of its size. As with the MIER Ultralight tent, the Kelty Late Start is a budget-friendly backpacking tent. If you are in the market for an affordable backpacking tent, but you do not want to sacrifice comfort or quality, you really cannot go wrong with either option.
- Lightnin’ fast/easy set up with Kelty Quick-Corner Technology
- Rugged and roomy design for 1P, 2P or 4P
- 1-door, 1-vestible design
- Full coverage waterproof rain fly
- Big-time interior living space created with pre-bent poles